Stupid, Lazy or Mean?

Examples of bad Customer Service or downright dishonesty. Some from organisations who have ignored my attempts to get them to fix things. Others from organisations that make it nigh on impossible to complain at all. And the odd tilt at Government

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mypix - case study in deterring feedback

I was trying to decide which supplier to use for a PhotoBook project, when Mypix sent me a promotion that seemed just right.

Everything looked fine, until I read in the description "You tell your own story using text and photos on the top quality satin pages inside (170 g/m²). All you've got to do is slide your photos in. "

Suddenly, I felt that I didn't understand their product. Satin pages at 170 g/m² fitted with my expectation of a product where I uploaded photos and perhaps text, and they printed them onto pages which they bound into a book. Everything else fitted with this, except the last sentence: All you've got to do is slide your photos in.

Was this a bad translation (MyPix is based in France) - where "slide your photos in" refers to the process of designing your pages onscreen? Or are they actually offering to send you a book with text printed on pages with transparent sleeves, and a pack of appropriately-sized photos that you then "slide" into the sleeves - not at all the same product (and hard to match with the "satin" description).

The obvious solution was to ask Mypix - if it was a product with a major disadvantage that they wanted to gloss over, then at least I would know, and if it was a bad translation then I could buy this otherwise-perfect offer and could even suggest that they do me an extra-special deal in thanks for the future sales I was saving them from losing.

But it looks as if I will never know - because MyPix only want feedback on their terms. I am free to write to them in France. I can phone them at a premium rate. Or I can send them an email about my existing order with them or difficulties uploading pictures. But helpful feedback that might help them losing sales? Not welcome. There is no method offered to send them an email unless it fits one of their very limited range of subjects on which they are happy to be contacted.

So Mypix aren't going to get my feedback and can merrily go on confusing (and perhaps unnecessarily turning away) potential customers, comfortable in ignorance. If they are privately owned, then I guess that arrogance is a luxury that their owners are free to indulge in at their own expense. But if they are a public company, then I would think their shareholders might be a bit upset to see their earnings potential depressed by such an approach.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home